Sunday, January 03, 2010

Things to do in Denver when you're dead

I watched this film when licking my wounds on a snow boarding trip (hoped for relationship that did not pan out). The post itself has nothing to do with the movie, but the standout line was from a video gravestone - an old lady philosophizing about the start of relationships, discovering each other's bodies.

I'm not that old or that close to death - another 32 years - but still had the compulsion to create of list of things to do before i die - will limit this to places to visit. The list hasn't gotten any shorter recently, which has created some angst on my part, so decided to create it in writing so that I can see it shrink when I do get back to knocking off items on it. Has made me feel somewhat better seeing this list in writing now.

Here is first cut

Places to see US:
Alaska (will be my 50th)

National Parks
Everglades

Places to see OUS:
Taj Mahal
Machu Picchu
Sphinx & Grand Pyramids & Abu Simbel
Easter Island
Antarctica (will be my 5th and final continent)
Stonehenge
China - Terra Cotta warriors


Paintings to see (only Uber famous ones I have not seen in person)
Scream - Oslo
Last Supper - Milan


Those are definitely the top of my list. A bit lower - would like to see, but would not look back on my life in regret:

US
Hike to bottom of Grand Canyon
Maui (including NP)
Niagara Falls
Grizzly National Park
Isle Royale National Park
Dry Tortuga National Park
Denali National Park
Andersonville
Kitty Hawk


OUS
South Pole
Angkor Wat
Carnival in Rio - to see how it compares with Mardi Gras
Auschwitz
Jerusalem
Istanbul
Forbidden City & Great Wall
St. Petersburg

Updated 8/15/11 - decided to lower a number of items, e.g. Maui falls to lower list. Devil's Tower is removed. This is partly based on a dinner conversation concerning what places are on lists - PM stated that his list keeps growing & I asked if he didn't have a "must see" vs. "like to see list". Realized that some of my must-sees were not that. So 11 on that list.

Comments:
Probably not a typical european choice of locations and activities but these are things I really really really would like to do or see.

Activities:

A balloon flight over one of the national parks in Africa.
Seeing the northern light
Swimming with a Whale Shark

Places:
Rome, The Dolomites, Madeira, Surinam, Micronesia, Namibia
Sicily, See the Hittite ruins in Turkey

US:
ProvinceTown (Land’s end) (I read the Cunningham’s book about it and I have to see it), New York
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?