Friday, April 28, 2006

Friday Night Bach & (alcohol free) beer blogging


I was just given the Well-Tempered Clavier, book I, so was able to remove it from the list. Will be curious if I enjoy it more than the Goldberg Variations, which frankly start to annoy me after 15-20 minutes.

It's funny that Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms used to be called "The 3 B's" - why not Bruch or Bruckner? Now that I've purchased the art of the fugue & Musical Offering, and appreciated their majesty, I don't understand how Brahms could have ever been grouped with Bach & Beethoven - far far superior musical composers, arguably geniuses. Brahms completely lacks their depth of vision and should be considered a second tier composer - no higher.

Time to experience alcohol free Coors & Glenn Gould to see if they complement each other.


p.s. recommend Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould quite highly

UPDATE: Now that i've listened to most of the first CD (out of 4) my opinion remains the same. For solo piano work give me Chopin & then Beethoven. Bach's chamber music is sublime, but there's something too limiting or limited with Bach's piano works.

Comments:
Not a huge fan of Gould. His playing is interesting and quirky, but I sense that he's trying to interpret something that Bach didn't intend. Too experimental for my tastes.

Perahia's rendition is truer to the composer's vision, in my opinion. He plays it straight. Bach doesn't need embellishment or exaggeration.

Sorry to hear about having to endure the alcohol-free beer. If it makes you feel any better, I can't even drink that! I'll stick with wine (that has alcohol in it).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?