Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Knees on the mend
ugly lookin' nobs
It is amazing how minimally invasive surgery has advanced. Only 2 tiny cuts needed to access my meniscus & cut it out. If I had better tools & a server, I'd link the video from the doctor to this site so you could watch my meniscii being cut.
The other amazing aspect is the recovery time:
- Day 1 after surgery - no pressure on left foot
- Days 2 through 5 - needed 2 crutches
- Days 6 & 7 - needed 1 crutch
- Days 8 through 12 - need cane
I can hobble around without the cane for short periods now as long as I wear my knee brace & I haven't even started official physical therapy yet (I have the exercises memorized so have started the quad exercises on my own, but no E-stim or ultra-sound).
Don't know if other eras were so negative - focus on the mess of healthcare, but rarely discussing the incredible medical advances that have occurred in a relatively short time.
- 20 years ago, the doctors would have had to cut my knee open.
- 4 years ago and 4 incisions were needed.
- My video from the doctor has a pre-recorded section mentioning 3 incisions.
- Now 2 very tiny cuts that would never be noticed if someone didn't know to look.