Thursday, June 16, 2005

& a disappointing Movie

Just finished watching L'Âge d'or and it was boring. Unlike Un chien andalou there's really no shocking images of eyeballs being cut, nothing to leave you asking "what does it mean? If I see it again, can I glean insights into Buñuel & Dali." Also lasting just over an hour, the film just dragged.

Buñuel had an odd career: part amusing social commentaries - El Ángel exterminador & Le Fantôme de la liberté (which I'd like to see again as an adult) but also an incredibly boring social commentary Los Olvidados that I could not force myself to watch until the end, before ending with the thoroughly entertaining Cet obscur objet du désir, which used the distracting trick of having a French & Spanish actress play the Object of desire. Overall a masterful director with an amazing scope, but certainly his fair share of misses - it may be heresy but I'd include Belle de Jour i that category. Never really cared what happened to the character in contrast to Tristana, which cut far deeper.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?