Monday, March 28, 2005
Rough draft of a letter to Body & Soul
What should be contained in the data base:
- How were they captured & sent to prison
- What crimes were they accused of? Where they formally charged with any crimes?
- Why were they released?
- What are the conditions of release? Yaser Hamdi had to waive the right to sue for damages, give up his US citizenship & agree to limitations on travel.
- What are the dates of their interment?
- Were they tortured - photos of any physical injuries?
- What were they asked while imprisoned? What were their responses?
- What happened to them after their release? In an ideal world, 6 month & 1 year follow ups would be possible, but I would be curious to know how many of the internees have taken up arms against the US again: I've read that 10 detainees released to Pakistan or Afghanistan took up arms against us again.
- Actually video of interviews with each released detainee.
One positive sign is that most of the abuse cases I've come across are from 2002-2003, so it does seem that the Army has stopped the most egregious cases of abuse. I've looked at antiwar.com, but only find articles, so will search a bit more tomorrow.