Saturday, January 29, 2005

Miserable Post Office trip & weak graphic novel

No wonder I always use MBE or UPS store. Waited 20 minutes in line for them to say that they won't supply a single piece of tape to close the box - i would have to buy a roll of tape???? They must have all kinds of tape there & that's standard practice at MBE or UPS. Will never ever go into another Post Office to mail a box - absolutely not worth the hassles & piss poor service.


Started reading my other Xmas graphic novel Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth. Just weak. Pathetic story of a pathetic character. Don't care what happens to him - there's absolutely nothing interesting in the story. It's more "look what a comically pathetic character i've created. let's laugh at him." Some moderately interesting (though hard to read) art work. Maybe 1/3 of the way now, and guess i'll finish it, but this review on Amazon is dead nuts on

I usually LOVE graphic novels, and I was really excited after I heard all the great reviews for this book. Then I read it, and it was awful. Really Awful. And it wasn't one of those things where I'm not smart enough to understand it. I get it, I understand what he is trying to say, and I've seen a lot of great graphic story telling. It was interesting, to see the artwork, but the story was awful and the characters were completely unlikable. This book is not worth the time it takes to read it, and is ultimately disappointing.

Will slug on through since i don't want my father-in-law's $$$ to go to complete waste, but unlike Blankets, there's no humanism, no insight, well just nothing to recommend about Jimmy Corrigan. Hope that the other graphic novels listed in that NYT review from last year are better. So far Gorazde & Blankets were both worthwhile & JC sucked, so guess that's 2 out of 3.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?